Friday, June 6, 2008

Lord, Empty Me

Lord, empty me so I may be filled with You.

A friend relayed to me what St. John of the Cross said, "To reach satisfaction in all things, find satisfaction in nothing."

The idea of detachment, for me, is kind of intimidating, unless I look at it as drawing closer to Christ. Giving up the world seems easier when it means He's at the end of it.

My attachments can get me into trouble (things such as seeking validation, a need for friends, a longing for success). Perhaps I should hold such things lightly in my hand, like a butterfly. One's hand needs to remain open to hold a butterfly; it won't be clutched. An open hand means God can fill it up, and I wouldn't expect a butterfly to take up permanent residence there.

I initially thought seeking detachment sounded cold, as though it might make me less likely to love, but in thinking about it (and in my fledgling attempts to practice it), I see that it helps me to love more and better. It takes away the need to receive back; I can give without the attachments that make my giving less pure.

True freedom is looking forward to the day God will bring without any expectations. Except to rest in His arms and walk in His ways...

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (From the Beatitudes of Christ, Matthew 6:33-34)

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (St. Paul in Philippians 4:6-7)

No comments: