Monday, June 30, 2008

Confidence at Dawn

Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see. C. S. Lewis

I awoke this morning with a new-to-me confidence that expresses itself as an awareness of God as an immovable rock in my life. The reality of Christ as our Good Shepherd and all that implies has settled into my being, moving from my head to my heart like sand landing solidly in the bottom of an hourglass.

I feel hemmed in by God's solidness. His care and protection are as real to me as the canyon walls that border the valley path in the photo above. Actually more real, for I know that all canyon walls crumble over time, while God is forever: "Glory be to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen."

Søren Kierkegaard said, "Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays." Perhaps that's what has happened to me. I know that whatever happens, however prayers are answered, God is with me and because of that, I will survive in strength.

3 comments:

Lavinia said...

I came here via A Kite Rises. Your smiling photo intrigued me. I want you to know that I too like G.K. Chesterton, especially the Father Brown stories, with The Twelve True Fishers probably my favourite.

That is a beautiful vista you have posted here, and your banner is dramatically striking.

Esther said...

Thanks, Lavinia, for your visit and your comments! I'll be round to visit you soon. :)

Lavinia said...

Hello Esther, thanks for your kind comments on my blog. I really like that quote at the end of today's post....prayer is lifechanging, mood-changing, view-point-changing....