Thursday, April 10, 2008

USS God Almighty

During a family health crisis some years ago, I felt emotionally vulnerable and I found it difficult even to pray. My concern at the hospital overwhelmed me; so much so that it felt I was in the midst of a sea of crashing waves, barely clinging to life on a tiny piece of wood.

The crisis passed and we knew our loved one was going to make it through. Suddenly it became clear to me. Although it felt I was alone and vulnerable in the waves, I had, in fact, been on God's battleship, safely carried through the storm.

We are now in a different kind of crisis. On May 1, my husband's job will be eliminated. You can imagine how that feels with a mortgage, and children (one off to college soon), and two older vehicles that have traveled many miles, and... well, there's no need to go on; you get the picture.

My prayer for this storm is that I will trust God from the beginning, rather than worry, to have the grace to rest in Him from the get-go, knowing I'm on a battleship and not alone in the waves. I want to honor Him with my trust.

Jesus asks me not to worry about what the next day will bring. (St. Matthew records this in his gospel.) Our Lord reminds me that God cares for the sparrows. How much more will He care for me? Peace comes as I rest in this.

So, until this crisis passes, I will pray. And pray some more. He only asks that I trust Him as He steers the ship.

Anchors away!

5 comments:

Christine said...

I am praying for you too sissy. Godf has a perfect plan.

Macile Hooper LeJeune said...

Yes; that is what I am trying to do in the 'Ricki' thing; and most of the time ... I have let go of it ... even when praying in the middle of the night when I cannot sleep. Praying for you and all of our stjames family. xxxooo
DIEU TE BENISSE!!!! Cajun Sissy

Esther said...

Christine and Macile: Thank you so much for your prayers! Mine are with you and yours.

Unknown said...

Powerful post Esther - a phrase sprung to mind immediately after reading it - that a friend once said to me, when I was very worried about something: "Let go, and Let God" - i.e. God will take care of it. It will be okay, don't worry, we have come through similar scary times and survived, thank God. Praying for you...

Esther said...

Dear A Kite Rises: "Let go and let God" - beautiful! So simple, yet sometimes difficult to do. May we all learn this gentle art. Thanks so much for your visit, your prayers and for your encouragement that all will be well! :)