Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Seeking God Together

When I was 14, I spent a very lonely six months in a new school 3,000 miles away from my home. The circumstances as to why I was there shall remain unexplained, but suffice it to say that when I got home, seeing my friends again was a great joy. After that experience, I made a vow to myself: I would do everything within my power to surround myself with friends, lots of them, wherever I happened to be. It was just too painful to be as alone as I was during those months.

CS Lewis said: "Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival."

I love the thought that friendship, like philosophy and art, gives great beauty and meaning to life; with that I do agree. However, for me, friendship is one of the great necessities of life. It IS about survival.

I believe God created us with an innate desire for connection. It's what causes us to seek Him and to seek out relationships with one another. On the grand continuum of our varying needs for intimacy, I'm guessing I would land deep on the far side of "yes." I love sharing my heart with others and hearing what's within theirs. It's one of my great joys in life.

Thankfully, in all the years since age 14, I've not had to live my life without friends. I am thankful for each one; some have followed me through the years... and some are just beginning to walk the path next to me. I love each friend, old and new, and the ones who point me to the heart of God are the jewels in the crown. I treasure them most of all.

Thank you, each one of you, for sharing the journey with me.

2 comments:

Macile Hooper LeJeune said...

An amazing insight into friendships given us by GOD. It is nice to know you have someone you can count on; day or night; near or far; phone or email; ... and ... there is nothing lonelier than living with a friend (my spouse) when he is not wanting to be friendly. Thanks to some prayers Sissy has been saying ... the past few months have been so much like I always wished for; him being there for me when I desparatly needed to be taken care of. Merci, Sweet Jesus, in your Divine Mercy. DIEU TE BENISSE!
Cajun Sissy Macile

Esther said...

My dear Macile: I'm thankful for the answer to Sissy's prayers, and I pray things continue in this pleasant way! Praying God will give you strength for your journey together.