Monday, April 7, 2008

Planting Seeds

This morning I spent a lot of time planting seeds, not in my garden, but in my heart. I see prayer that way. CS Lewis has said that prayer is not about changing God, but about changing us. I find this to be true; the more time I spend on my knees, the more I am changed. And that's a good thing.

There is no more peaceful place to be than in prayer. When I ask for God to shed His grace upon my friends, my family, my parish, the world, I know He becomes involved in the lives of those I love, and that comforts me. All the cares of the world slip away and are replaced by the peace only He can give.

Prayer also brings thanksgiving. Being on my knees helps me see life more clearly and to understand how much He has blessed me. Whatever my physical circumstances, He lavishes me with grace when I seek Him. A never-ending font of spiritual blessings is poured from Heaven.

Sometimes it's hard to get to my knees, but once I'm there, I don't want to leave. It's good to know I don't have to, even when I get up.

"Pray without ceasing." I Thessalonians 5:17

3 comments:

Macile Hooper LeJeune said...

Pray without ceasing; AMEN. Ohe, how I wish I could get on both my injured knees. The kneelers at our church are padded, but wish my bad back, I cannot knell on both, and even when I lean back onto the seat. Well, you could say 'she is getting old' ... but there is a man ... about 92, I think ... that goes to daily mass ... and when he gets there (usually 30 to 45 minutes before mass) ... he kneels on both knees ... with his back as straight as it ever is (he is hunchback walking(. This man is a Cajun musician ... and was still in his teens when he started playing. >>>There must be a blog in here somewhere. Merci, ma cherie Esther ... for this entry ... and for my train of thought.<<< And ... HOW IS THE JOB HUNTING GOING??? Keeping you in my prayers. DIEU TE BENISSE!!!
Cajun Sissy

Anonymous said...

i planted varies vegetable seeds last month .......... the bugs ate the newly sprouting tender greens.
THEY ARE ALL DEAD and gone ........
prayer for anything especially for loved ones means perseverance.
DON'T GET DISCOURAGED
KEEP ON PRAYING

Esther said...

Dear Macile, I would imagine that our Lord sees you as being on your knees in your heart, even when real life knees won't cooperate! No jobs so far, but will keep you posted. Thanks for asking. :)

Dear Anonymous friend: Thank you for your encouragement which lightens my heart. May your garden flourish!