Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Manna from Heaven

Jesus feeds us heavenly food. Spiritual sustenance is given through the physical.

What a treasure to discover I was called to a deeper closeness with Christ through the Eucharist, a hidden secret previously unknown, like gold shining in a dark corner of a cave. I desperately desired this communion with Him, to share the experience of ancient Christians and all who followed through the centuries. In the same way that one can be married without its consummation, one can follow Christ without the Eucharist. But there is more. Much more. Christ awaits in the deep, rich, real experience of the Eucharist which draws us close to Him.

When I first became Catholic, I sought Christ in the Eucharist daily. He met me there, filling me with palpable peace as I had never known.

Heavenly Bread

Heavenly bread, heavenly wine
Through the grain and cup,
We partake of the Divine
This is my Body, this is my Blood
Poured out for you, a new covenant

Blessings to the One who feeds His church this way
Blessings to the One whom we sup with today

Heavenly bread, heavenly wine
Through the grain and cup,
We partake of the Divine
This is my Body, this is my Blood
Poured out for you, a new covenant

Through Christ's sacrifice and the grace that He gives,
We reap eternal life through this food that makes us live

Heavenly bread, heavenly wine
Through the grain and cup,
We partake of the Divine
This is my Body, this is my Blood
Poured out for you, a new covenant

(Copyright Esther Oertel 2004)

No comments: