Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Particularly Fine Jewel

Today something precious was lost to me. I understand the reasons why; even so, there is a great weight in my heart.

And yet there is an abiding peace inside. I know that "all things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28) Within me there appears to be room for both sadness and the comfort of the Holy Spirit.

This evening as I was preparing my family's dinner, a soft breeze wafted in from the open kitchen window and gently touched my skin, and after dinner, the clouds wore late sunset colors of pale pinks. The biggest oak tree is still outside, a guardian in our yard, as though protecting his smaller brothers. Crickets chirp, their methodical rhythm occasionally mixing with the faint ring of wind chimes. All these things bring assurance. They keep me connected with our Creator and help me know that the world is still running under His command. Our God's great love permeates all circumstances and this is no exception. I willingly submit myself to the refiner's fire and the loving hands of the potter.

This particularly fine jewel has my deep respect, now more than ever.

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him." (I Corinthians 2:9)

No comments: