Thursday, April 9, 2009

Heavenly Holy Thursday

We fall down and lay our crowns at the feet of Jesus...

I just returned from Holy Thursday Mass where I experienced Christ's presence in an amazing, awe-inspiring way. This "Mass of the Lord's Supper" during Holy Week celebrates the institution of the Eucharist, and during the liturgy this evening I felt transported to heaven (or that the saints in heaven were present among us), as though we became part of the ongoing worship of Christ in that realm. Some have compared the mass' liturgy to the book of Revelation in scripture, and while I have always believed that, it was never more real to me than this evening.

At the end of mass, Christ was removed from the tabernacle and taken by the priest to reside in the cry room that has been converted into a temporary little prayer chapel until after Good Friday. I longed to keep watch with Christ this evening, but my son was with me so we had to leave. I know my Lord waits there for me until tomorrow, when I may pray on Good Friday from noon until three to commemorate the hours he was on the cross. I am glad He is patient; I am not always.

Truly the Easter Triduum (Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter) is the holiest time of the year. He comes to us in the most powerful of ways.

The picture above reminds me of a couple of hymns, Crown Him with Many Crowns and Holy, Holy, Holy. The latter speaks of "casting down our golden crowns around the glassy sea." Both of these hymns give me chills in light of what happened this evening.

Truly He is Lord! I look forward to celebrating His resurrection on Holy Saturday at the Easter Vigil Mass.

No comments: