Monday, May 18, 2009

Of Blossoms and Rustling Leaves

Our cherry tree was in bloom several weeks ago; soft, pink blossoms hovered about its branches like a cloud. Despite the pleasure of the sight, I felt a bit sad as I admired them. It seems the blossoms are here so briefly, as though they float away on the breeze as quickly as they arrive. While I thought of this, a quiet voice within asked me to appreciate goodness while it's here and not to mourn its passing. I was reminded that each good-bye brings something new. God's world is full of wonder when we are willing to receive.

* * * * * * *
I sat on the small stone bench outside the church as I waited for noontime Mass. Lost in thought about a particular care, God pointed out to me that my focus was a distraction from the whisper of His voice. Looking up, I saw the leaves on the trees blown by the breeze with their gentle rustling sound. One must be quiet and still to listen and see.

"Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

No comments: