Monday, September 1, 2008

Unexpected Gift

Thank you, God, for the gift I received just now. Billy, my youngest son, on the cusp of his first day as a senior in high school, said I was the finest person he'd ever met (because I'm "so nice and trustworthy and everything"). He also reminded me that whatever good thing he becomes, it's in part because of me. I didn't expect this (how could one?), and I am filled with surprised gratitude. I certainly don't deserve it, but here it is. (He also said his dad is the hardest working person he knows. :)

Parenting is interesting. You stumble along, aware of all your imperfections in the process, knowing full well that you could have (and should have) done a much better job. Yet, somehow, despite all that, love comes back to us. God allows us the privilege to participate in shaping His creation. How generous He is!

Thank you, God, just thank you. And please bless both my sons, Bobby and Billy, and parents and children everywhere. May we reflect your love in the love we share with one another.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.classicalthinkingaloud.blogspot.com/

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

What a wonderful and special gift he gave you. Something to treasure in your heart for always!

Lavinia said...

A very insightful post on parenthood. You've said it with direct perception. I concur...Lord, please, bless all parents and children everywhere...